Authentication Blues

Jeremy Russell Jeremy.Russell at chickasaw.net
Wed Mar 26 18:55:56 CET 2003

Ya, I used mod_auth_ldap  The only deal is I have a lot more scripts and
I didn't wanted to use the local stuff,  so there would be only one
login,  I also wanted to give the option of logging in or not, so other
users could see but not touch, if you know what I mean.

What version of mod_auth_ldap are you using, the one I'm using only
populates the LDAP_USER variable anyways, and I'd have to hack it to get
it to load REMOTE_USER.I don't know. Maybe I'll end up using the
mod_auth_ldap after all. I Just wanted more of a seamless integration.
I'll hold out a little longer before I give up though.  Thanks for the
reply!

JR> Hello list!
JR>             I have a challenge, what's going on is this.  I want to
use
JR> the CGI auth mechanism but I don't want to use apache's built in
auth
JR> stuff (even mod_auth_ldap).  I actually have a PHP script that
JR> authenticates users against an Active Directory server.  Is there
any
JR> way to make the CGI's work with this.  I've tried a few things so
far
JR> but havn't had any really good results.
errmm.. why don't you like mod_auth_ldap, did it not work for you ?
we use it for authentication against netscape ldap and novell
e-directory and
everything works really smooth .. (our nagios webserver itself
authenticates against novell e-dir over a tls encrypted connection)
the crappy active directory shouldn't be a problem for mod_auth_ldap

JR> First I tried the apache_setenv for php, tried to set the
REMOTE_USER
JR> variable.  No worky worky, not sure if I used correctly or not,
haven't
JR> been able to find docs for it.
nice try, but effectless as the variable will only be filled with your
value while running the php file .. no longer :-(

JR> Next I tried to edit the auth.c library for Nagios itself.  It pulls
the
JR> user from the REMOTE_USER using apaches libs, so I thought I would
user
JR> a different variable name,  but I then figured out I still don't
know
JR> how I would populate the environment variable.

JR> The only thing I know of now is to really butcher the auth library
for
JR> Nagios.  I guess I could maybe also write a C program to run from
the
JR> script to populate the environment variable, another option is maybe
JR> use mod_rewrite(??)  But I'm not sure how.
i don't have any idea how you could use mod_rewrite...

if you use apache2 you could help yourself with some kind of input
filter which set's the env var's, i've never done this myself, just
read about the powerful input filters of apache2

[snip]

--
"In god we trust, the rest we monitor"
mailto:lists at bauchi.de