check_dns woes

David Adams dadams at johncrowley.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 12:32:16 CET 2003

Greets all,

I have been running nagios for a couple of weeks and everything has been working fine. I am monitoring two Windows 2000 DNS servers, again, both have been working fine. Yesterday, nagios said my secondary dns server was "DNS CRITICAL -  Non-existent host/domain"

So, in an effort to troubleshoot the server, i did a manual nslookup and the server is working fine, i ran the plugin manually and i get the same error message

./check_dns -H demon.net -s 192.168.x.x DNS CRITICAL -  Non-existent host/domain

The primary server which is running the same os, same everything is working just fine as far as nagios is concerned but for some reason nagios just won't talk to the secondary server even though it's working just fine.
Plugins are version 1.3 nagios is version 1.0 os is OpenBSD3.0

any suggestions appreciated

regards

Dave