Issue with not having $ARG?$ in host check commands

Todd A. Green slartibartfast at awardsforfjords.com
Mon Mar 24 20:19:23 CET 2003

I've run into a circumstance where I need to be able to pass arguments
to a host check command.

I'm doing host check commands on firewall(s).  I can ping the internal
interface, but have to use SNMP to check the status of the external
one.  This means that the host check command for the external interface
has to check the status of the interface using the IP address of the
internal interface.  Since host check commands cannot accept arguments I
would have to write a custom host check command for each instance of
this.  I have additional (and numerous) applications of this same logic
relating to switch interfaces so a scalable solution is preferred.

1. I'm wondering why $ARG?$ aren't available to host check commands.
2. A scalable way around the issue.

Thanks

--
Todd A. Green <slartibartfast at awardsforfjords.com>