Multiple Nagios processes

twebster at daksoft.com twebster at daksoft.com
Mon Mar 24 17:16:14 CET 2003

I have also had this problem.  When I issue /etc/init.d/nagios stop, it
sometime never stop all processes, so I have to kill the remain processes.

So, when I issue a restart, the nagios process will gradully increase in
number and worse yet, won't read  any new config changes in.

Tony

|---------+---------------------------------------->
|         |           Subhendu Ghosh               |
|         |           <sghosh at sghosh.org>          |
|         |           Sent by:                     |
|         |           nagios-users-admin at lists.sour|
|         |           ceforge.net                  |
|         |                                        |
|         |                                        |
|         |           03/24/2003 07:33 AM          |
|---------+---------------------------------------->
  |       To:       nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net                                                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Nagios-users] Multiple Nagios processes                                                                 |

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Lonny Selinger wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has had an issue with (what seems to be)
an excessive
> number of nagios processes. I currently am running at around 260 and
climbing
> slowly. Eventually it takes the load on the machine quite high. The
machine is a
> linux box and currently is running Netsaint in production and Nagios in
test (I'm
> working on transitioning Nagios into production right now), and most of
the checks
> are done via nrpe so they way I have it set up right now is with both
running
> grabbing information from the same nrpe daemon which is already running
on other
> machines.
>
> I'm not sure if that could be the cause but I do know that Netsaint is
currently
> only sitting at 37 processed and doesn't seem to be causing much impact.
> Notifications are dissabled for Nagios right now until I move it into
production but
> I wanted to verify this behaviour was normal before finishing the
transition.

> Any help/suggestions are apreciated!
>
> Lonny Selinger LPIC-1

This is not normal behaviour - the number of nagios processes should vary
over time - but nevere consistently increase.  Expect for the main daemon
- all other processes should die after timeout.

Try restarting the whole process famliy - and take a look in the docs
about obssessing and reaping.

--
-sg

reporting any issue.