Multiple Nagios processes

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Mon Mar 24 16:14:20 CET 2003

> This is not normal behaviour - the number of nagios processes should vary  over
> time - but nevere consistently increase.  Expect for the main daemon  - all other
> processes should die after timeout.
>
> Try restarting the whole process famliy - and take a look in the docs  about
> obssessing and reaping.

I think I may have solved this issue. After watching children spawn for a few
minutes and at a time when a LOT of checks were being initialized, I noticed that my
timeout for remote checks was pretty low. I increased the interval to about double
in the the check and watched the next high impact check interval ... the load was
considerably low and the number of children (at peak) dropped quite significantly.

This seemed kind of odd, I thought increasing the timeout would back up even more
children while it waited for a timeout from the plugin, but as it turns out, it
takes less time to succeed within 20 seconds then it does to timeout 3 times at 10
seconds.

--
Lonny