Problems with check_by_ssh plugin

Jesús M. NAVARRO jesus_navarro at undominio.net
Sat Mar 22 17:47:08 CET 2003

Hi, Andrew:

El Jueves, 20 de Marzo de 2003 20:19, Kaplan, Andrew H. escribió:
> I am trying to monitor several different servers via the check_by_ssh
> plug-in. One example is checking the httpd status on the remote server
> running Slackware 2.6. To that end, I created a script on the remote server
> that invoked the check_http plug-in. The script was tested by manually
> running it, and it appeared to work properly.
>
> The check_by_ssh plug-in was manually started on the nagios server and the
> commands that were used are the following:
>
> 	/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H gray -C
> /usr/local/nagios/check_http
> 	/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -f -H gray -C
> /usr/local/nagios/check_http
>
> The error message that I encountered in both cases was
>
> 	Permission denied (public,keyboard-interactive).

Tipically this means you tested the plugin with a different account from the
one Nagios it's using.  *Your* account manages to log in to the remote
computer without password (probably because you're using public/private
keypairs), but the one running Nagios (usually either nagios or root, much
better the former than the later) don't.

> script and plug-in were working properly. The problem here is, the
> operation had to be done manually...it did not work automatically.

So, most probably it's what I'm saying (and while you are able to log in
without password to host A not even your account is able to do the same on
this sencond host).

> Any ideas?

Configure ssh properly to log in without password as the nagios user.
--
SALUD,
Jesús
jesus_navarro at undominio.net