Problems with check_by_ssh plugin

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Mar 20 20:19:27 CET 2003

I am trying to monitor several different servers via the check_by_ssh plug-in.
One example is checking the httpd status on the remote server
running Slackware 2.6. To that end, I created a script on the remote server that
invoked the check_http plug-in. The script was tested by manually
running it, and it appeared to work properly.

The check_by_ssh plug-in was manually started on the nagios server and the
commands that were used are the following:

	/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H gray -C
/usr/local/nagios/check_http
	/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -f -H gray -C
/usr/local/nagios/check_http

The error message that I encountered in both cases was

	Permission denied (public,keyboard-interactive).

Another example is checking the disk space usage on another server. A similar
procedure to the one above was done on the second server which
was running HP-UX 10.20. Again, when the script was run manually, it appeared to
work properly. When the check_by_ssh plug-in was manually
invoked on the Nagios server, a different problem occurred. I was prompted for
nagios user password and after I entered it, the output indicated the
script and plug-in were working properly. The problem here is, the operation had
to be done manually...it did not work automatically.

Summarily here are the two problems:

				1. Server One:	Permission denied
(public,keyboard-interactive).
				2. Server Two:	The operation had to be done
manually...it did not work automatically.

Any ideas?

I have the keychain 2.0.6 application on the nagios server. This application is
to expedite the ssh login process by remembering the appropriate
password associated with the ssh account. The idea here is, if there are several
services that are running on the remote server, and the check_by_ssh
plug-in is being used, keychain will automate the login procedure.