Missing scripts?

Greg Webster greg at intouch.ca
Wed Mar 5 22:08:15 CET 2003

The command I am using is: ./configure --with-gd-lib=/usr/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/include

I believe that all the gd libraries are in place (installed via dselect in Debian)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:41:58 +1100: Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft at IPAustralia.Gov.AU> wrote:
> gd headers (.h files). If gd.h is _not_ in /usr/include this is futile.
> I would guess that this is an unlikely place to find it.

# locate gd.h
/usr/include/gd.h

> you can find out exactly what's going on by reading configure (/gd might
> be a good place to start).
>
> What configure is doing is trying to locate your headers and libraries
> by compiling stuff like
>
> #include <gd.h>
> main() {
>  /* some gd lib call */
> }
>
> with gcc -I <path_to_gd_headers> -L <path_to_gd_lib> -l gd .. yada
> test.c
>
> when it fails, it reports what you see.
>
> In other words, it can't find something.
>
> Since you have eliminated the libraries, it must be headers.

Same error when I have the header file in place (/usr/include/gd.h)

> On this FreeBSD system gd.h and friends are in /usr/local/include/gd
>
> I use --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/include/gd --with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib
> as arguments to configure.
>
> Try and locate gd.h (with find) and then feed the path to --with-gd-inc

Done, same error.

> It wants to _attract_ your attention and _tell_ you that it's blown up
> and things will not work as expected.
>
> Unfortunately, no one wants to hear bad news so this _and even louder
> versions_ is usually ignored.

Actually, all I'd like is for it to be just a little more concise with the error message. For example, if I have libgd and libpng in perfect order, but libjpeg is missing then it should tell me that it's libjpeg that's missing, not the general error message it does now.

Does anyone else have this running on Debian?

Greg