check latency too high

Roberto Oppedisano roberto.oppedisano at infracomspa.it
Wed Mar 5 18:50:52 CET 2003

Hi there.
   I'm using nagios v1.0 to monitor  the status of  350 routers
(this are going to be > 600): the only plugin which I'm using is
check_ping.
I'm seeing that the "Last Check" time (Service Detail menu in
the web interface) are sometimes way too old  for some of the
monitored routers (more than half an hour); at the same time
looking at the "Performance Info" menu I see that the values for the
check latency grow to high values (min 60 sec., max 190sec.,
 avg 115 sec.).

 If  I restart nagios this values go down to something
like 1sec, 5 sec,  2 sec. (they usually stay at this levels for some
 hours), and the last check times return to better values (not more
than 5 min. old).

Is this a normal behavior?

The load average and the CPU usage on the server (1.4GHz PIII
server with RH 7.3 installed and harware SCSI RAID) are both very low.
Nagios is complied with postrgresql support.

More info on request.

TIA

--
Roberto Oppedisano