Hosts with no services?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herff-jones.com
Wed Jun 25 21:15:37 CEST 2003

But why should you monitor something you don't care about, generating
needless traffic and cpu overhead?

I too do a ping in the host check and a redundant ping service check - but
it's still a waste.  Sure there are other services on the box, but I don't
need to monitor them -- all I need is to know the box is alive, in which
case the extra ping is pointless and wastes resources.

In a previous life I did this with a little shell script and fping.  You
lose the benefit of being able to acknowledge individual hosts that way
though.  Then again, if you allow your techs to log into the system doing
fping, then adding a host a file listing those to ignore becomes easy.

-t.