Fail error message

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Jun 23 13:46:36 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 04:29, Hegedus, Ervin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> dear Karl,
> first: thank you for your reply.
>
> > Maybe the check_host is misconfigured? In that case, the service checks
> > would not be performed until the host came back up. Which it would not
> > be able to do until check_host_alive reports success.
> what do you mean 'check_host is misconfigured'?

I mean that check_host_alive does not work for this host. Which you did
not mention in the email I was responding to, but you have now
confirmed.

> look at this:
> monitor:~# grep check-host-alive /usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
> #       check_command		check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
> 	check_command		check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
>         check_command		check-host-alive
>
> as you can see, there is many other host where we use
> check-host-alive command - there are works fine.
> the commented line is the w2k host, what gives back false alert.
>
> here is the relevant part of checkcommands.cfg:
>
> # 'check-host-alive' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check-host-alive
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H
> 	$HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1
>         }
>
> i use _only_ this command, i didn't redefined this command
> anywhere...
>
> in my previous mail i attached a sample, where i tested the
> command_line line - that works with this host also.

I don't see any problems with your command definition. I would examine
the host definition very carefully to if there are any typos there that
might affect how the host address is passed to the host-check command.

Once you fix the host check and uncomeent it, the problem you described
(service not being tested) will go away.

--
Karl