/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

Garrett, Matt M SITI-ITDIEEE matt.garrett at shell.com
Wed Jun 18 15:39:21 CEST 2003

Kreig

The permissions on this file should be
prw-rw----   1 nagios   nagios         0 Jun 18 10:30 /local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

Your passive commands should be running either as user nagios or as group nagios
Or if you are feeling brave root

You should not allow any body to be able to write to this file.
I know Ethan has some error checking on this file but you should not rely on this.
As users could try and crash nagios or DOS attacks etc.

We got around the problem by using nsca , running a check command on the client as root
due to its very nature, and then sending the info back to nsca running as nagios
Works very well, for us.

Hope this help's

Matt

Matthew Garrett
Unix System Support
Seafield House, North Anderson Drive, Aberdeen AB15 6GZ, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1224 81 8373 Other Tel: Internal 630 8373
Email: Matt.M.Garrett at is.shell.com