nrpe woes - Received 0 bytes from daemon...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jun 17 17:08:20 CEST 2003

I installed nrpe 2.0b4 on a Red Hat machine using "./configure
--disable-ssl" and built check_nrpe on a Mac OS X machine (same configure
command).  (I manually #define'd socklen_t to be int on the Mac.)  The
server starts okay from an rc script using this command:

    /usr/local/sbin/nrpe -c /usr/local/etc/nrpe.cfg -d

It forks and sets its user/group to nagios/nagios as it should.  When I
execute

    ./check_nrpe -H cirweb.itcs.northwestern.edu -c check_users

on the Mac I get this error:

    CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server logs
    for error messages.

If by "remote server logs" it means syslog, I see nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro