Can\'t get notifcations to work!!! Read everything!

stlscott stlscott at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 20:31:46 CEST 2003

Please help - new to Nagios, have it working great except for notofications.

I've read tons and tons of posts regarding this issue and can't seem to locate the true solution - please help.

Info:
Nagios 1.1
Plugins 1.3
OS: RH 8.0 stock

Problem: Notifications can't be forwarded because they don't have a "From" user address. I can only assume that I'm missing a config line in my misccommands.cfg file to put the "from" address in - but I've tried and tried and can't get it in the right place or maybe not the right command. Here is my e-mail line from my misccommands.cfg file.

# 'notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
command_name notify-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****nnNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$nnService: $SERVICEDESC$nHost: $HOSTALIAS$nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$nState: $SERVICESTATE$nnDate/Time: $DATETIME$nnAdditional Info:nn$OUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$ -u nagios
}

You'll notice the "-u nagios" added on - this was an attempt to add the "user" to the FROM address - no luck though!

HELP!