Presentation / BB-Nagios

Ewan Leith ejl at man.fwltech.com
Wed Jun 4 14:50:46 CEST 2003

We did some basic investigation of linking BB and Nagios, since we use BB
for monitoring our existing systems. We didn't get too far due to lack of
time, but essentially it seems that BigBrothers log files are too
disorganised to easily merge with Nagios, but it would definitely be
possible to alter most of the BigBrother plugins to report to Nagios their
results at the same time as they report them to BigBrother, and vice versa.

To do it you would need to add a line to each bb plugin doing something
like:

echo "$time;PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT TEMP;
<host_name>;<service_description>;<return_code>;<plugin_output>\n" >
/usr/local/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd

Since each of the values you need in that line is available in BigBrother
too if you keep the hostnames and descriptions the same, then you can quite
easily output it to Nagios.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/extcommands.html has the detailed
information on how to do this.

BigBrother has a similar idea, where you call "/usr/local/bb/bin/bb
$displayserver $LINE" where $displayserver is the hostname of the central BB
server, and $LINE is LINE="status $MACHINE.$TEST $COLOR `date`. If you call
that every 5minutes with your nagios service results it will appear on the
BB display and in the log files.

I've also written a very simple and ugly bigbrother type interface in Perl
to replace the nagios frontpage (it links to the real nagios page for when
you click on a detail line), so it's possible to do this too. I imagine it
would be possible to extend this to show both BB and Nagios information on
one page, though you'd have to be mad to want to do this :)

Ewan