Escalation Problems

Joseph B. McQueen jmcqueen at wpsc.com
Thu Jul 31 22:21:13 CEST 2003

I've been trying to solve a problem with escalations for several days
now. The issue is that I've defined a "host" escalation for a device.
When the host goes down, it sends the standard notification. However,
when the "escalation" should occur, I get no notices to any of the
contacts(contact groups) I have defined. Conversely, when I remove the
escalation, I still only get one standard notification, with no further
notifications after the "notification_inteval".

I recompiled the nagios executable with the "--enable-DEBUG4" to see
what may be happening. The console debug messages are shown below:

Nagios 1.1
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 06-02-2003
License: GPL

Nagios 1.1 starting... (PID=23709)
Warning: Contact 'nagios' is not a member of any contact groups!
Warning: Contact group 'test-escalate' is not used in any
hostgroup/service definitions or host/hostgroup/service escalations!

HOST NOTIFICATION ATTEMPT: Host 'testdevice'
        Current time: Thu Jul 31 15:55:09 2003
        HOST STATE CHANGE!
        Current notification number: 1
        Current Time: Thu Jul 31 15:55:09 2003
        Next acceptable notification time: Thu Jul 31 15:56:09 2003
        Notify user jmcqueen
        Raw Command:       /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Host '$HOSTALIAS$' is
$HOSTSTATE$\nInfo: $OUTPUT$\nTime: $DATETIME$" | /bin/mail -s
"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - Host $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" $CONTACTPAGER$
        Processed Command: /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Host 'Joe McQueens Test
Device' is DOWN\nInfo: /bin/ping -n -U -c 1 192.168.1.1\nTime: Thu Jul
31 15:55:09 EDT 2003" | /bin/mail -s "PROBLEM alert - Host testdevice is
DOWN" phonenum at messaging.nextel.com
        Raw Command:       /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState:
$HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $OUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time:
$DATETIME$\n" | /bin/mail -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!"
$CONTACTEMAIL$
        Processed Command: /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: PROBLEM\nHost: testdevice\nState:
DOWN\nAddress: 192.168.1.1\nInfo: /bin/ping -n -U -c 1
162.88.43.108\n\nDate/Time: Thu Jul 31 15:55:09 EDT 2003\n" | /bin/mail
-s "Host DOWN alert for testdevice!" jmcqueen at wpsc.com
        APPROPRIATE CONTACTS HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED

After the "Next acceptable notification time" expires, I receive no
futher notifications from the device. My applicable configs are shown
below. My intervals are set small for testing, but was receiving the
same behavior with the intervals set higher. I even tried using a
"hostgroupescalation" and "serviceescalation" in attempts to get it
working with no success.

***hosts.cfg***
define host {
name                           generic-host    ; The name of this host
template - referenced in other host definitions, used for template
recursion/$
notifications_enabled          1       ; Host notifications are enabled
event_handler_enabled          1       ; Host event handler is enabled
flap_detection_enabled         1       ; Flap detection is enabled
process_perf_data              1       ; Process performance data
retain_status_information      1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
retain_nonstatus_information   1       ; Retain non-status information
across program restarts
register                       0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION -
ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

define host {
host_name                      testdevice
alias                          Joe McQueens Test Device
address                        192.168.1.1
check_command                  check-host-alive
max_check_attempts             2
notification_interval          1
notification_period            24x7
notification_options           d,u,r
}

***hostgroups.cfg***
# Test Group
        define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name                 test-group
        alias                          Test HostGroup
        contact_groups                 test-admins
        members                        testdevice
        }

***services.cfg***
define service {
name                           generic-service  ; The 'name' of this
service template, referenced in other service definitions
active_checks_enabled          1        ; Active service checks are enabled
passive_checks_enabled         1        ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
parallelize_check              1        ; Active service checks should
be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
obsess_over_service            1        ; We should obsess over this
service (if necessary)
check_freshness                0        ; Default is to NOT check
service 'freshness'
notifications_enabled          1        ; Service notifications are enabled
event_handler_enabled          1        ; Service event handler is enabled
flap_detection_enabled         1        ; Flap detection is enabled
process_perf_data              1        ; Process performance data
retain_status_information      1        ; Retain status information
across program restarts
retain_nonstatus_information   1        ; Retain non-status information
across program restarts
register                       0        ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION
- ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

#Test Group Devices
        define service {
        use                            generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use
        host_name                      testdevice
        service_description            PING
        is_volatile                    0
        check_period                   24x7
        max_check_attempts             2
        normal_check_interval          1
        retry_check_interval           1
        contact_groups                 test-admins
        notification_interval          5
        notification_period            24x7
        notification_options           u,c,r
        check_command                  check_ping!2000.0,100%!2000.0,100%
        }

***contacts.cfg***
define contact {
contact_name                   jmcqueen
alias                          Joe McQueen
host_notification_period       24x7
host_notification_options      d,u,r
host_notification_commands     host-notify-by-email,host-notify-by-epager
service_notification_period    24x7
service_notification_options   u,c,r
service_notification_commands  notify-by-email,notify-by-epager
email                          jmcqueen at wpsc.com
pager                          anumber at messaging.nextel.com
}

#Joe McQueen Office Phone (For Testing)
define contact {
contact_name                   jmcqueen-office
alias                          Joseph,McQueen
register                       1
host_notification_period       24x7
host_notification_options      d,u,r
host_notification_commands     host-notify-by-voice1,host-notify-by-voice2
service_notification_period    24x7
service_notification_options   w,u,c,r
service_notification_commands  notify-by-voice1,notify-by-voice2
email                          2709
pager                          2709
}

***contactgroups.cfg***
#Test Contact Group
        define contactgroup {
        contactgroup_name              test-admins
        alias                          Test Admins
        members                        jmcqueen
        }

#Test Escalations Group
        define contactgroup {
        contactgroup_name              test-escalate
        alias                          Test Escalations
        members                        jmcqueen-office
        }

***escalations***
define hostescalation{
        host_name testdevice
        contact_groups test-admins,test-escalate
        first_notification 2
        last_notification 5
        notification_interval 1

I appreciate any help anyone might provide.