notification commands based on hosts or services

Mike Culbertson mike at omnipod.com
Sat Jul 26 01:26:40 CEST 2003

To add to the issues...

I bit the bullet and went ahead and created additional entries for each
contact, named test<contact>, and placed them all in a contact group "test"
all with email-only notifications.  I then realized that the service
templates for all of my checks are based around the type/timing of the
checks, i.e. 15-min-check,5-min-check, etc.  All the templates point to the
main contact group.

I cannot change the templates, because that would affect ALL services, not
just the ones I want only email from, and I hoped I might be able to remove
the default contact group and it would default to the contact group for the
host or hostgroup, but that is not the case.  Removing the default contact
group for a service template results in a warning for every service that
uses the template.

So is it accurate, then, that my options are these:

New service templates for each of the groups of services for which I need
specific notification types.

or

Removing contact group from the service templates and specfiying the
contactgroup in each individual service.

I am somewhat reluctant to do either as this would require editing a huge
number of service entries in either case.  Any ideas/hacks/tips?

--
Mike Culbertson