notification commands based on hosts or services

Mike Culbertson mike at omnipod.com
Sat Jul 26 00:12:37 CEST 2003

I have been all through the docs, but I can't determine a reasonable way to
do this:

I need to specify the type of notification based on what host or service
has a problem.

For example, contact "Joe" has notification options of "notify-by-
email,notify-by-epager".  Joe needs to be contacted about status changes on
all "dev" and "test" machines, but only needs email about "dev" machines,
and should not be paged.

Contact groups become irrelevant here because the type of notification to
make is specified in the contact definition. So even if I play around with
contact groups and timeperiods, when an alert is sent to Joe, it goes via
email and epager.

How could I restrict the notification type based on what
service/host/hostgroup it is coming from without having to make unique
contact entries for each (person+type of notification) they use?

I think this makes sense, but I've had a LOT of coffee :)

TIA

--
Mike Culbertson