Any way to have Nagios send epages only when host or service is critical (not for warnings?)

Brian Johnson brianj at nvc.net
Tue Jul 22 17:34:14 CEST 2003

I disagree.

I think the answer is there and can be easily done.

i.e.

define contact{
	contact_name				steve-pager
	alias						Steve's pager
	service_notification_period		24x7
	host_notification_period		24x7
	service_notification_options		c
	host_notification_options		d
	service_notification_commands		notify-by-pager
	host_notification_commands		host-notify-by-pager
	pager
555-5555 at steves.pager.gateway.tld
	}

define contact{
	contact_name				steve-email
	alias						Steve's email
	service_notification_period		24x7
	host_notification_period		24x7
	service_notification_options		w,u,c,r
	host_notification_options		d,u,r
	service_notification_commands		notify-by-email
	host_notification_commands		host-notify-by-email
	email						steve at email.tld
	}

I think you want an easier way to do it. I would agree that probably could
be easier.

I'm of the mind that posting to a list for advice on FREE software should be
done only when a bug is found or when the documentation lacks any solution.

Just my 2c

- Brian J.

host or service is critical (not for warnings?)

You need to RTFQ, it's not covered in the manual.

Steve O'Brien

"Brian Johnson" <brianj at nvc.net>
07/21/2003 08:34 PM To<sobrien at ci.bend.or.us>
cc
SubjectRe: [Nagios-users] Any way to have Nagios send epages only when host
or service is critical (not for warnings?)

OK...

I just started using Nagios last week and find it to be FANTASTIC. Even I
know the answer to this one.

RTFM!!!

Services - http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#service

Hosts - http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#host

Notifications - http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/notifications.html

This information is in the referenced documentation. Please read it before
just bailing out to the list.

host or service is critical (not for warnings?)

Anyone have a solution for the issue of wanting to be notified of warnings
but only wanting to paged when the service/host goes critical?

Steve O'Brien
City of Bend
Network Administrator
sobrien at ci.bend.or.us
541-322-6393

----- Forwarded by Steve OBrien/Bend on 07/21/2003 12:20 PM ----- "Jason
Lancaster" <jlancaster at affinity.com>
07/21/2003 09:50 AM
To<sobrien at ci.bend.or.us>
cc
SubjectRe: [Nagios-users] Any way to have Nagios send epages only when host
or service is critical (not for warnings?)

Hmm, you've stumped me. I can think of work-arounds but I cannot think of a
direct way to do this within Nagios.

-You could add another contact and into contacts.cfg.
Contact1: jlancaster
Contact2: jlancaster-pager
I would then define different host and service notification options for
each. Personally, I never envisioned needing this but it's a major
limitation on Nagios templates and in my current database implementation.
Doh.

-You could also write a wrapper for the pager notification command and
search the $HOSTSTATE$ variable for critical notifications.

-Additionally, you could take the second workaround a step further and
create a more advanced contact notification module. I know I have seen
discussions with regards to the development and use of more advanced
notification systems before on this list.

You might want to post a followup to your first post reiterating what you
said to me below. (You're welcome to post what I wrote too)

Let me know what you come up with.

Jason Lancaster
Intranet Administrator, Affinity Internet
http://www.affinity.com

host or service is critical (not for warnings?)

That appears to be a setting for notifying only when host is in a particular
state.  I want to know when the warning states occur but I only want them
emailed, I do not want to be paged.  I only want to be paged when it is
critical.

Steve O'Brien
City of Bend
Network Administrator
sobrien at ci.bend.or.us
541-322-6393

"Jason Lancaster" <jlancaster at affinity.com>
07/21/2003 09:21 AM To<nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>,
<sobrien at ci.bend.or.us>
cc
SubjectRe: [Nagios-users] Any way to have Nagios send epages only when host
or service is critical (not for warnings?)

Yes, this type of functionality defined in the contacts.cfg
service_notification_options and host_notification_options. Read
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#contact