Problem with notifications

Matt V. Williams mattw at heimdall.org
Fri Jul 18 23:24:45 CEST 2003

We've been running Nagios on RedHat for a while now and everything was
working great with it until about 3 weeks ago when we started seeing
something very odd happening with our notifications. Both the
notify-by-email and notify-by-epager started sending out messages with
only a from address. No subject or message body is included. They are
getting to the right email addresses so variables are being passed but
that's it. Here is my notify-by-email from the misccommands.cfg file:

define command{

        command_name    notify-by-email

        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $DATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$OUTPUT$"
| /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$
is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$

        }

As you can see this is the same command that is in the sample and was
working before. Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening?

Thank You

Matt Williams

Systems Engineer

Onvoy, Inc