Slipping Schedule Queue

Chris Gill CGill at NewWorldApps.com
Fri Jul 18 17:25:17 CEST 2003

Hi All,
	I've got a problem that seems to resemble some other issues people
have had here, but I'm not sure exactly what the 'correct' resolution is.
I've got a Nagios system (P3 500, 128Mb mem) checking 96 services on 43
hosts. This is a test bed system to make sure Nagios can replace our
existing system (a custom-job built around What's Up Gold). So far, Nagios
has been great, but we've got a problem with the scheduling queue slipping.
What I mean by this is that items in the scheduling queue wind up having a
'next check' date in the past, but have never been checked.
	I think this problem may be related to our use of APAN to do
graphing (31 of the 96 services). The APAN service checks have a
"normal_check_interval" of a minute. I have a feeling this is making Nagios
run those checks more frequently, and push other checks off. I find this
strange, since I've set no limit to the number of simultaneous checks that
can run, and so I'd expect the scheduling queue to be followed. To test
this, I had been running even *more* APAN checks (74 of 139), and the queue
would wind up getting delayed by an hour or more. Strangely, a few of the
services that wind up behind schedule are the APAN checks, although it's
largely checks of network services that get delayed.
	This doesn't appear to be a hardware or network load problem, and
from what I've read in the list archives, this sort of thing can happen
independent of hardware load.
	What then, is the way to get around this? We'd really like to keep
running APAN checks on most of our hosts to get longer term trend graphs. Is
there a different package that doesn't have this queue-hosing effect?
	Thanks.

Christopher P. Gill, Systems Engineer, New World Apps
cgill at newworldapps.com
703-856-7268