escalations & vacations

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 16:46:38 CEST 2003

How does Nagios handle inavailability of a contact, say, while out on
vacation?  I still have a lot of machines which aren't grouped together, so
haven't taken the time to set up chains of escalations for them, even though
a particular machine may have primary, secondary and tertiary contacts.

Let me make this more concrete.  Suppose I have a machine named logan with
three administrators, nick (primary), barry (secondary) and tom (tertiary).
Nick goes on vacation.  How should I handle that?  Aside from fiddling
things so that barry is primary, what can I do?  Is there some way to
structure the escalation information for that machine so that it is trivial
to adapt to the temporary change?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro