check SNMP plugin won't compile

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Jul 17 17:27:00 CEST 2003

I've just installed Nagios 1.1 on a new RH9 system and am now attempting to compile the plugins (1.3.1). The first time that I attempted this, check_snmp was not compiled due to the fact that the configure script could not locate 'snmpget'. I had installed Net::SNMP perl module via CPAN, although I did not have the NET-SNMP package. I have since downloaded and installed NET-SNMP 5.0.8 and 'snmpget' and 'snmpgetnext' are both located in /usr/local/bin. Unfortunately, the nagios plugins configure script still does not compile the check_snmp plugin, and shows the same error message as before:

checking for snmpget... no
** Get snmpget from http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net to make check_hpjd and check_snmp plugins
checking for snmpgetnext... no

I've done a 'make clean' for the plugins and tried again.
I've reinstalled NET-SNMP
I've deleted the plugin source directory and untarred and tried again.
I've even gone so far as to reboot the box and try again.
Looking through the INSTALL, README, and REQUIREMENTS files, I was not able to find anything about specifying the correct path to necessary files.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 303.881.5157 (Mobile)