Authenticated users cross-auth problem

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Jul 16 13:00:58 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 05:26, Jamie Baddeley wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Nope you're right on the money. It seems to me that the logic is based
> around/tied to hostgroup definitions.
>
> Partitioned views IMHO are a really nice aspect of Nagios. Make the concept
> of "Online NOC" work......But it seems far more sensible to make these
> partitions aligned to services rather than hosts - after all the Nagger is
> service focussed not host focussed.
>
> Maybe if it was tied it to a service dependency definition it'd work
> better. That'd be a really good reason to create service dependencies for
> something other than alert-storm prevention....
>
> i.e customer A is dependent of service dependency thread Z & Y.

In practice, won't the contact group for the service be a good indicator
of who should be authorized to see a service?

If Nagios perms were extended to allow access to members associated with
a contact group, there would be a rationale way to express this. You
woul need to ad login names to the contact or contact group definition.
But for some site, that might even be all you need to do.

(I haven't needed to do this, so I haven't thought alot about it -
forgive me if this could not work for some obvious reason I'm not
seeing)

--
Karl