Jabber notification

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jul 15 18:03:34 CEST 2003

    Ian> But when I execute this script...
    Ian> [root at fangio ~/jabber-test]# perl test1.pl
    Ian> You requested that XML::Stream turn the socket into an SSL socket, but
    Ian> you don't have the correct version of IO::Socket::SSL v0.81. at
    Ian> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Net/Jabber/Client.pm line 196

Sounds like you need to use CPAN to update the version of the
IO::Socket::SSL package installed on your system.

    Ian> [root at fangio ~/jabber-test]# rpm -qa | grep ssl
    Ian> openssl-0.9.6b-18
    Ian> docbook-style-dsssl-1.76-1
    Ian> mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
    Ian> openssl-devel-0.9.6b-18

None of these relate directly to the Perl IO::Socket::SSL module.
IO:Socket::SSL is layered upon the libraries and header files in the
openssl* rpms.

To update/install that package, you can do one of two things.

1. Run CPAN:

      perl -MCPAN -e shell

   At the CPAN prompt, issue this command:

      install IO::Socket::SSL

   If you've never run CPAN before it will gather some initial information
   about how you like doing things and what CPAN mirrors you want to use
   before you get to the CPAN's shell prompt ("cpan> ").

   CPAN usually works well, though it can be tricky at times.  For instance,
   while writing this I tried the above install command.  IO::Socket::SSL
   depends on Net::SSLeay, which it dutifully tried to install.  That
   generated this warning:

      *** /usr/bin/openssl appears to be compiled with gcc ... while perl is
          compiled with cc. Both must be compiled with the same compiler and
          flags. Mixing and matching compilers is not supported. at
          Makefile.PL line 137.

   However, gcc and cc are the same thing on that computer:

      # cc -v
      Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
      gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.1 2.96-0.63.1mdk)
      # gcc -v
      Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
      gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.1 2.96-0.63.1mdk)

   Such is life.

2. Assuming there is an RPM on your distribution CD which contains the
   relevant Perl module, you can track it down and install it.  My Mandrake
   8.1 system doesn't have it, but then I don't do anything with SSL
   either. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/