Jabber notification

Ian Davidson idavidso at juniper.net
Tue Jul 15 15:24:18 CEST 2003

Hi Fred,

So, I've installed all the required Perl objects for this jabber thing,
and have setup a small script just to ensure I can communicate with the
jabber server (before getting things too complicated). We use SSL and
port 5223 internally, so the script looks like...

[root at fangio ~/jabber-test]# more test1.pl
    use Net::Jabber qw(Client);

    $Con = new Net::Jabber::Client();

$Con->Connect(hostname=>"jabber.labtest.jnpr.net",port=>5223,ssl=>1);

    if ($Con->Connected()) {
      print "We are connected to the server...\n";
    }

    #
    # For the list of available function see Net::Jabber::Protocol.
    #

    $Con->Disconnect();

But when I execute this script...
[root at fangio ~/jabber-test]# perl test1.pl
You requested that XML::Stream turn the socket into an SSL socket, but
you don't have the correct version of IO::Socket::SSL v0.81. at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Net/Jabber/Client.pm line 196

[root at fangio ~/jabber-test]# rpm -qa | grep ssl
openssl-0.9.6b-18
docbook-style-dsssl-1.76-1
mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
openssl-devel-0.9.6b-18

So I know I've got ssl installed but it's not the version shown in the
error message.

I've taken a look at line 196 of the Client.pm file and am none the
wiser. Being a networking chappie (not a programmer) I haven't the
foggiest where to start. Any pointers?

And finally, the idea is to be able to Jabber a message to individuals
(listed in the contact group) who happen to be logged into jabber. I'm
assuming this will achieve that end result...?

Regards,

Ian