Newbie questions

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Jul 11 05:54:47 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 01:09, Lam Eric wrote:
> 1) CGI authentication problem
>
> If I turn on the use_authentication=1, then I can't
> see the service detail page or hosts detail page. It
> returns message: "It appears as through you do not
> have permissions to view info for any of the services
> you requested..". I checked all the cgi-bin configs in
> httpd.conf and they are matching the entries suggested
> in Doc. I tried running apache with either
> nobody:nobody and nagois:nagios, same result. On the
> other hand, I start nagios with nagios:nagios in both
> cases. Is there anything else I can check. I also
> installed nagios with the nagios user and group. If I
> disable authentication, I see all pages.

You must be sure your webserver checks authentication. After you have
correctly provided your password to the webserver, it will set a CGI
variable that nagios uses to determin wheter you are among the users
that should be able to see the object requested.

> 2) I got "Invalid HTTP response from host on port
> 443"?
>
> I added another entry in checkcommands.cfg with the
> check_https definition, what it does is "check_http -H
> $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 443". Is this done properly? I'm
> checking a customized jakarta server that serves PS2
> clients, it does not serve web pages. There is nothing
> wrong with the service. It's serving PS2 clients
> properly.

I think you want '--ssl' (which will default to port 443 BTW)

You are asking to use port 443, but not telling the plugin tha the data
should be encrypted.

--
Karl