nagios plugins compilation tru-64

Wed Jan 29 13:22:44 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter but say that unless someone
more knowledgable than I steps forward, I can't offer much hope.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 04:13:01AM +0000, hrishy wrote:
> Hi stanley
>
> Thank you very much for the valuable piece of
> info..but can this problem be overcome if i install
> GNUc compiler on True-64 Unix and compile nagios
> plugins

First things first.

Whatever compiler you have is probably sufficient since it has detected
that the getopt test program failed (because of the structure clash with
what's expected by the plugin and the system getopt) to compile.

I think you need to install the Gnu getopt function or a replica (on
FreeBSD there is a popt library that is a getopt clone).

Again, unless you can get more respectable advice, this function seems
to be located in the GNU C library.

**** WARNING Installing a new C library could break your system ******

However, if you can install it safely, so that the system binaries and
libraries aren't overwritten, it will probably be very useful for all
the Nag plugins.

Here's a URL

http://www.gnu.org/manual/glibc-2.2.3/html_node/libc_toc.html

You may be better off to try the popt library first since it doesn't
install Gnu replacements for the standard library functions.

http://www.gnu.org/directory/libs/popt.html

Whichever getopt replacement you use, you will probably have to inform
configure that you are not using the system getopt and therefore to look
for it somewhere else.

I don't know how to do this.

Perhaps the popt docco will help.

> ..please pardon me coz my c knowledge is
> limited..

That's fine: No C knwledge required to install Nagios or the plugins.

> regards
> Hrishy

Good luck,

Yours sincerely.