Nagios config -- not xml?

Brandon Gillespie brandon at roguetrader.com
Fri Jan 24 22:27:31 CET 2003

Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com wrote:
> I second your first comment about it being a pain.  But, not knowing too
> much about XML, how would that make it
> easier?  Is there something about XML that would be particularly useful?
> Would you still have to have all the
> different .cfg files or would that change with XML?
>
> I understand that XML is "self-describing" data, correct?  How would that
> fit into configuring Nagios?

I think the more important point was 'being able to write third party
tools to edit the config files'.  By being in XML you just load an XML
parser and you are done.  As it is now, you have to have custom magic to
understand the current format, which is not reusable anywhere else.

I do concur, XML would be VERY nice.

BTW, are there any other admin tools for Nagios?  I used one on
netsaint, which is not available for nagios.  I'm not liking the nagat
one currently available--it doesn't import everything I've typed in, and
I find the import/export process cumbersome and annoying.

-Brandon Gillespie