dependancy's and notification macro's

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Jan 24 19:06:25 CET 2003

The immediate problem with what you propose, is that certain devices (eg,
pagers, SMS) are incapable of receiving long messages.  One of the design
goals of defining parents (IMHO, through observation) was to cut down on
notifications.  Suggesting to make a trade-off by increasing the verbosity
of a single notification seems to me to be a step backwards.

But what about this:  In the host definition for the router, why not put
something meaningful in the alias declaration?  Something like:

define host {
	host_name	router01
	use		router-tmpl
	alias		Router for 20 critical hosts
	address	1.2.3.4
	}

Alternatively, make alias something like:

	alias		Router for host1-host20

or perhaps:

	alias		Router responsible for sleepless nights

Surely you can put something in there which is a pleasant balance between
'brief' and 'informative'.

Food for thought.

jc