attempt recovery on service CRITICAL with nrpe

Rasmus Plewe rplewe at ess.nec.de
Thu Jan 23 00:16:12 CET 2003

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:23:49AM -0700, Jamin wrote:
> Hey all,
> 	I was wondering if any of you have tried to use nrpe to fix
> problems on systems before any paging occurs.  Basically I have an LDAP
> service running on a remote machine and I would like to set up nagios with
> nrpe to try to restart the service when it detects that it has gone down.

if you don't mind an example without the context, where you have to
extract the principle yourself:

#!/bin/sh

ERS=`ps -eaf | grep ersjsf | wc -l`

if [ $ERS -eq 2 ] || [ $ERS -eq 3 ]
  then
    /bin/echo "ERS OK - ERS running"
    exit 0
fi

if [ $ERS -eq 1 ]
  then
    sleep 20
    ERSLATE=`ps -eaf | grep ersjsf | wc -l`
    if [ $ERSLATE -eq 1 ]
      then
        /etc/rc2.d/S99ers start
      else
        /bin/echo "ERS OK - ERS running"
        exit 0
    fi
    /bin/echo "ERS CRITICAL - not running, attempted to restart"
    exit 2
fi

Regards,
         Rasmus