attempt recovery on service CRITICAL with nrpe

Jamin jragle at unm.edu
Wed Jan 22 18:23:49 CET 2003

Hey all,
	I was wondering if any of you have tried to use nrpe to fix
problems on systems before any paging occurs.  Basically I have an LDAP
service running on a remote machine and I would like to set up nagios with
nrpe to try to restart the service when it detects that it has gone down.

I know that this is kind of a hack, but we need our LDAP server up and we
can't sit there and watch it 24x7.  The vendor has been contacted to
determine what is causing the instability of the program, but in the mean
time I need something that will try to do some triage.

Have any of you set up anything like this?

I would be very interested in any solutions that you have tried for
similar problems on your systems.

Thanks,
-Jamin Ragle
SA at CIRT/DSYS
University of New Mexico

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void){char*s="\xA\x2C\0005ofczgei*e~*xo~~oh*mdcb~sdk*o|kb*\
\177es*~-deN",*i;for(i=s+*(s+1);i-s-1;)printf("%c",*i--^*s);return 0;}