Temperature monitoring using TempTrax

Pete Dewell pete.dewell at VoltEurope.com
Wed Jan 22 18:27:07 CET 2003

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:

> If you're saying, "I have been constrained by management to make TempTrax
> work on Windows, and have Nagios work with them,"

That's an awfully polite way of putting it, but yes; in essence, this is
what is required.

> you might be hard pressed
> to find someone doing this.  (If someone jumps in and has a solution, great!
> Then perhaps it could be thusly noted on Ethan's site. :)

Please. Anybody?

> Having said that,
> I don't know whether there's any Windows software which will monitor a
> TempTrax device and dovetail with perfmon.  If so, then NSClient should be
> able to monitor that.

I have had a look at the TempTrax software, which is pretty good in
itself, but doesn't seem to link directly to perfmon. I suspect I could
probably get it to fit with perfmon - it does allow you to run a program
as an "alert", but this may well entail writing a bit of code to do
this. I am quite happy to use nsclient to do the monitoring if possible.
I will investigate this further - I don't really know windows, so I may
be some time.

> If the above doesn't work, some options:
>
> - build out a low-end Linux box and dovetail it with TempTrax
> - purchase a hardware solution, and use check_snmp

I am trying to persuade people to go for the low-end Linux box. It would
only really need to run nrpe, or return a passive check to nsca. However
(see 1st problem) managment would much prefer to use a Windows solution.

Thanks for the idea about perfmon - will check it out.

Pete Dewell

Technical Support/Analyst
Volt Europe
Tel    : (+44) (0) 1737 774100