Temperature monitoring using TempTrax

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jan 22 17:17:08 CET 2003

I'm not using TempTrax at all, but I'm vaguely familiar with it and a couple
other temperature/humidity solutions.  I'm hoping to get clarification, in
order that you end up with a workable solution.

If you're saying, "I have been constrained by management to make TempTrax
work on Windows, and have Nagios work with them," you might be hard pressed
to find someone doing this.  (If someone jumps in and has a solution, great!
Then perhaps it could be thusly noted on Ethan's site. :)  Having said that,
I don't know whether there's any Windows software which will monitor a
TempTrax device and dovetail with perfmon.  If so, then NSClient should be
able to monitor that.

If the above doesn't work, some options:

- build out a low-end Linux box and dovetail it with TempTrax
- purchase a hardware solution, and use check_snmp

One possible example of the latter:

  http://www.akcpinc.com/company/price_list.html

Get the black box (or blue, in this case), a temperature sensor, optionally
a humidity sensor, assign an IP, set up check_snmp and you should be good to
go.  (Using an old Pentium running Linux might end up being cheaper, but you
might save some time going the black box route.)

Food for thought.

jc