Service check stops

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Tue Jan 21 17:22:44 CET 2003

What do you have check_period, max_check_attempts,
normal_check_interval, and retry_check_interval set to for your service
definitions? What does your Scheduling Queue page show? Is there
anything interesting in your nagios.log? It might also be useful for us
to see a host and service definition that you are using.

Below are the templates I use for my hosts and services but YMMV:

# Generic host definition template
define host{
        name                            generic-host
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance
data
        retain_status_information       0       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts              10
        notification_interval           0
        notification_period             none
        notification_options            d,r

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

# Generic service definition template
define service{
        name                            generic-service
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications
are enabled
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks
are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          0       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler
is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance
data
        retain_status_information       0       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            3
        notification_interval           0
        notification_period             none
        notification_options            c,r

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

--
Marc