URGENT

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Jan 20 20:59:26 CET 2003

First, the reference to Stratum 2 servers:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

Next, some comments.  When you set up your servers to use NTP, you don't
tell them to use just one.  That's asking for trouble.  I would recommend at
least 3 servers, and preferably an odd number of servers (so as to be able
to form a quorum).  Depending on the environment, I wouldn't necessarily go
any higher than 7 servers.

That's just for creating your own corporate Stratum 3 servers.  You should
be fine to create just 3 servers, but feel free to create more.  Make sure
that they're aware of each other, with the proper configuration.  I believe
the term is 'peer', but it's been a while for me.  You could arguably have
each one of these Stratum 3 servers query a completely different set of
Stratum 2 servers (from the servers your other Stratum 3 servers query).
This spreads queries over a wider area, reducing potential problems even
more.  Having one Stratum 2 server out of sync, and all 3 of your Stratum 3
servers will have to deal with it.  Having one Stratum 2 server out of sync,
with visibility restricted to just one Stratum 3 server, and your servers
can improve the quality even more.  Depending on your environment, you might
want to make your servers broadcast/multicast servers, and let your NTP
clients listen passively.  In this case, you might want to put a server on
each of your subnets.

All other hosts on your network should refer to your own Stratum 3 servers.
This cuts down on the traffic going to the Stratum 2 servers, and helps you
to be a good netizen.  :)

With this sort of configuration, any server which is seen to have lost its
mind when compared to the remaining servers will be ignored, aside from
querying it to see if it's managed to recover.  This is true of your Stratum
3 servers (comparing the Stratum 2 servers they're aware of to each other,
as well as to its peers), as well as of your clients (effectively Stratum 4
servers, albeit not serving to any other hosts).

Does this help?

jc