Red Hat 8.0 Install Problems - Resolved

Ray Holland ray at raysweb.com
Sat Jan 18 06:35:50 CET 2003

Ok, first, I am not an expert, what I know I learned myself from hands on
experience so if I say something stupid, please have a little sympathy and
not blast me too bad, but do tell me of the error.

I have a lot of errors when I tried to install the Rel 1.0 code on a RH 8.0
system. (I am running the 1.04 beta on a RH 7.3 system)

I installed RH 8.0 via NFS, selecting "Server" Install on a dual processor
Intel system.  This is a 2.6 GB install.  If you select "everything", it is
4.6 GB install so I did not want to do that.  What I found out is that the
Server Install only installed three of the packages Nagios/plugins need and
of those three, it did not complete the full package install (but there was
no indication of this during the install). So, after looking at all the
postings here, I decided to figure out what needed to be done to get this
working.  It was really quite simple after all was said and done.

1. (re)Install the rpms that are needed (from the RH 8.0 CD's), using
the --force option so the 3 that were installed by RH incorrectly will be
fixed. First you collect the rpm files from the 3 install CDs and then
install them using:
	rpm –i –force gd-1.8.4-9.i386.rpm
	rpm –i –force gd-devel-1.8.4-9.i386.rpm
	rpm –i –force gd-progs-1.8.4-9.i386.rpm
      rpm –i  --force libjpeg-devel-6b-21.i386.rpm
      rpm  -i –force libpng10-1.0.13-5.i386.rpm
 	rpm –i –force libpng10-devel-1.0.13-5.i386.rpm
      rpm –i  --force libpng-1.2.2-6.i386.rpm
      rpm  -i –force libpng-devel-1.2.2-6.i386.rpm
      rpm –i  --force zlib-1.1.4-4.i386.rp
      rpm  -i –force zlib-devel-1.1.4-4.i386.rpm
(note: I expect that I really did not need all 10 of these packages but it
was the complete set of those mentioned at one place or another in the
postings here so I (re)installed all 10)

2. Follow the instructions in the Nagios installation documentation and
everything works as advertised. Pretty simple. I used the config files from
my 7.3 system that is still running the 1.04 beta. I monitor a dozen systems
and about 40 services.

3. Done.  All is working great (of course, Nagios is a very fine monitor- my
thanks to the author).

I hope this helps anyone still scratching their head over install problems.

Ray