NIS check?

Fri Jan 17 00:33:39 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 04:02:43PM -0700, Nelson, Ben wrote:
> The problem I see is that the current revision of check_rpc (1.3.0-beta2) is
> dependant on specific output of rpcinfo.  If the actual output of rpcinfo
> doesn't match any of the scripts known, hard-coded output strings, then the
> default state is maintained.  Since the default state is 'OK', you will
> always get an 'OK' if the script can't parse the output of rpcinfo.

> Doesn't
> seem like totally desireable behavior to me.

Much more desireable than 'CRITICAL': spurious alerts bring availability
monitors __quickly__ undone.

Suggest you change the default state to 'UNKNOWN'.

> --Ben

BTW, welcome to the world of heterogenous systems. Making code portable
is at least as hard as making it in the first place.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.