where is the status.sav file

jgking at packetstorm.org jgking at packetstorm.org
Thu Jan 16 20:05:27 CET 2003

a day or so ago i got a response on one of my questions and the poster
refered me to look at the status.sav file.

so i checked /usr/local/nagios/var

the status.log is there, but no status.sav

So i go and check the nagios.cfg file and all the lines detailing the
status.sav file are active.

retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav
retention_update_interval=60

The comments in the nagios.cfg refer to setting a flag named
preserve_state_information.

# STATE RETENTION FILE
# This is the file that Nagios should use to store host and
# service state information before it shuts down.  The state
# information in this file is also read immediately prior to
# starting to monitor the network when Nagios is restarted.
# This file is used only if the preserve_state_information
# variable is set to 1.

So i tried setting it in the nagios.cfg file

Error in configuration file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg' - Line 20
(UNKNOWN VARIABLE)

Then i figured id set it in the general service template

Error: Could not add object property in file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg' on line 34.

So i tried it not in the template but in an actual host object in the
services file:

Error: Could not add object property in file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg' on line 53.

Then i went to lunch ....

Realized while walking back, rtfm idiot. so i check the faq and search the
mailling list at sourceforge (that search function acts broke it always
returns a blank page). No luck either.

So would someone enlighten me on how one gets this file to be saved?

Oh and the directory perms are correct and im running it as the nagios id.

thanks!