Antwort: Re: how can i use snmp

jgking at packetstorm.org jgking at packetstorm.org
Wed Jan 15 17:32:17 CET 2003

Mrtg or even better rrdtool (NMIS project is great for cisco devices).

Cricket is pretty nice but i had to create a seperate set of binaries
seperate from my core apache/php system since Cricket wont work in safe
mode and needs reg_globals on among other things. Still Cricket is nice.

You should also check on net-snmp (http://www.net-snmp.org).

The check_snmp tool in the libexec directory of Nagios is very nice and
can be expanded by creating entries in the etc/checkcommands.cfg

I did this to handle integer and string return differences:

define command{
        command_name    check_snmp_int
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $ARG1$ -o $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
-C $ARG4$ -d $ARG5$
        }

define command{
        command_name    check_snmp_str
        command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $ARG1$ -o $ARG2$ -s $ARG3$
-C $ARG4$ -d $ARG5$
        }

Then in your services.cfg file you can do something like this:

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       portal
        service_description             ETH: Status
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command
check_snmp_int!localhost!.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7.2,.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.2!1!***********!"="
        }

What the above does is check the return values for my ethernet device to
see if the admin and oper status is 1. Handling multiple oids is real
handy when trying to minimize Status Details, the only issue i have with
it so far is that the boundary check for oids limits me (ie it cores) to
only so many entries.

It would be nice if the check_snmp program could add a flag for the oid
parent tree and then accept an array of integers comprised of the subtree
values. For example, the process table oid

.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2.1.101

and then and array of what leaf nodes (1,2,3,4,10,12,15...n)

ahck im going off on a tangent again, better stop before i go completely
off track ;)

-Greg