Antwort: Re: how can i use snmp

kdellhofen at telebel.net kdellhofen at telebel.net
Wed Jan 15 14:41:53 CET 2003

Ok i need to count the traffic on each port on an switch or router so i can
use MRTG or?!
Then i need a tool perhaps Mrtg that can read out from a "CMC Rittal"
Server cabinet security  wether is opened a door or closed or is there any
alarm..

e.g
system.sysDescr.0 = Rittal CMC   Ser. 015271   HW V24 -- SW V2.00
system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.2606.1
system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (1134605) 3:09:06.05
system.sysContact.0 = Klaus Dellhofen
system.sysName.0 = CMC Schrank 1
system.sysLocation.0 = Leverkusen EVL OVF
system.sysServices.0 = 72
system.sysORLastChange.0 = Wrong Type (should be Timeticks): 0
interfaces.ifNumber.0 = 1
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifIndex.1 = 1
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = pack
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.1 = iso88023Csmacd(7)
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifMtu.1 = 1500
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifSpeed.1 = Gauge32: 10000000
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifPhysAddress.1 = 0:10:f0:0:3b:a7
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifAdminStatus.1 = up(1)

                      "Tom DE BLENDE"
                      <tdeblend at gcc.dh         An:      kdellhofen at telebel.net
                      l.com>                   Kopie:   Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                                               Thema:   Re: [Nagios-users] how can i use snmp
                      15.01.2003 14:31

You asked for a tool -and I quote- "to count the traffic on each port
and so on...".

MRTG does just that. MRTG is a master in counting and graphing. So if
you want to graph temperature, yes MRTG can do that.

However, it seems like you want to monitor, rather than to count? No?

Anyway, it might be helpfull if you could write out what exactly you
want to know, because it's a bit fuzzy now...

kdellhofen at telebel.net