NRPE vs. check_by_ssh vs. nagios_statd

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Jan 14 18:04:12 CET 2003

A common question, one which burned in my mind when I came to that
crossroads, and perhaps one which should be added to the FAQ.

I'll throw my $0.02 in, but YMMV, and I'm sure you'll get some variance in
opinions.

- check_by_ssh -- great for punching through firewalls where port 22 is
already open (saves you having to punch more holes); doesn't scale well,
because of the crypto computations

- NRPE -- it's what I'm using; many aren't thrilled with having to manage
multiple nrpe.cfg files across every client; I've managed to make do

- nrpep -- not terribly familiar with it; basically a variation on the NRPE
theme, I believe, except in Perl

- nagios_statd -- for starters, you'd have to install Python on ever client
you wish to install this on; I also seem to recall reading a post to the
list where someone was having problems expanding on the functionality

- check_snmp -- this is something I've been pondering for a while, and would
like to try; someone posted very recently that it's quite lightweight;
you'll need the SNMP binaries installed on the Nagios host as well as every
client; not sure, but I'm guessing that the lion's share of the SNMP effort
is peeling back the layers to find exactly what things you can monitor

- NSCA -- this is the passive approach, meaning the client will need to
contact the server; I pondered this as an option, but nobody could tell me
how well it scales, or whether it would suffice as a replacement for the
active checks that NRPE gives me

In summary, I'm using NRPE, and am considering adding/switching to
check_snmp.

HTH.

jc