Template Structure is Better???

Shelfo, Pete Pete.Shelfo at itron.com
Tue Jan 14 14:40:39 CET 2003

I have been using Netsaint 7.0 for a long time and have built up quite a
large number of non-standard check_snmp statements that require
individual configuration per server.  With the new template based format
for Nagios 1.0 my services.cfg file is going to be huge since each
service statement is now about 10 lines instead of one line condensed.
This is going to make maintenance very difficult since I will have to
browse tons of pages to find a service.   I don't want to go back to the
old "default" method since I am completely transferring my system into
the new format and don't want to be outdated on the offset.

Is there a way to manage custom statements like check_snmp and NSClient
Windows service check so that they are not out of control?  I see the
benefit for template's but that seems to be limited to environments that
all the hosts in a network have similar settings.  If one server in a
group does not follow a guideline then you have to expand the group to
individual hosts.  Can you do hostgroup exemptions in a service check?
Can you issue multiple check_commands in one service statement?