Executing custom/misc commands problem

Jamin jragle at unm.edu
Sat Jan 11 19:48:15 CET 2003

Hello fellow nagios users,
	I'm trying to integrate nagios into our paging and problem
management software right now but am having problems getting nagios to
execute the perl script that initiates the pages and tickets.

In the etc/misccommands.cfg file I am trying to do something similar to
the notify-by-epager command but instead of using printf and mail, I am
trying to execute the command which contacts the problem management
software.

Here is a simplified command where the 'hello' part is actually the second
argument which describes the problem.

# Test 'host-notify-by-CIRTpager' command definition
define command{
        command_name    host-notify-by-CIRTpager
        command_line    /nfs/e1/oper/PAGER/scauto/linuxevprob.pl HostDown hello
        }

I added some lines in the perl file which appends the 2nd argument to a
file in /tmp, just so I know if the file is being executed, but
apparently, it is never executed by nagios because the file is empty.

The permissions on the file are good, and it executes normally when done
by hand.  It just seems to not work in nagios.  I checked the notification
history, and nagios seems to think it was executed, but there is never
anything in the /tmp file when nagios tries to run the command.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
-Jamin Ragle
SA for CIRT