Monitoring Oracle Instances

Stanley.G.Martin at mail.sprint.com Stanley.G.Martin at mail.sprint.com
Fri Jan 10 17:53:28 CET 2003

I currently have a standalone Perl script that runs as a daemon that
monitors about 25 Oracle instances.  It basically just tries to log in
with an ID that only needs session privileges and if it fails, pages out
using Qpage the error returned from the DBI connection attempt.  I would
like to incorporate this into Nagios.  The plugin part doesn't concern
me, I can tweak my script to work with Nagios.  My question is about
grouping these.  For the most part, I'm either not monitoring anything
else on the server that the instance is on, or I'm running Nagios_statd
on a few to watch disk space.  I'm not the Sysadmin on any of these
boxes, so I have to be careful what we monitor.  I'd like to group these
database monitors separately so I can view them all together without
being a part of the server they reside on.  Can this be done?

Stanley G. Martin
Sprint - EIS³ Customer Care
Stanley.G.Martin at mail.sprint.com