Same old "Nagios may not be running!" thing

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue Jan 7 22:17:56 CET 2003

Hey folks,

	I know this question has been asked a hundred times,
but I've either tried all of the solutions posted previously,
or SourceForge's lovely mailing list archive search has
crapped one too many times.

	I'm getting the old "Nagios may not be running" error
with the CGI's, and I'll be damned if I can see why.  I have:

* Run the nagios_check_command manually from the command line,
  which works perfectly
* Shortened the '-C' value in said command to just 'nagios',
  which I've had to do on another handful of installations
* Verified that permissions/ownerships are fine with the
  config files, the status log, and the check_nagios command
* Changed the nagios_check_command to use 'check_dummy 0',
  and it STILL thinks nagios isn't running (?!)
* Stopped nagios, made sure all processes have died, and
  restarted it
* Stopped nagios, made sure all processes have died, deleted
  all the log files, and restarted it
* Rebooted the machine just to make sure (well, it DID have
  a 517 day uptime)
* Used check_nagios both with flags and without, ie:

/home/nagios/libexec/check_nagios /home/nagios/var/status.log 5 \
	'/home/nagios/bin/nagios'
and
/home/nagios/libexec/check_nagios -F /home/nagios/var/status.log \
	-e 5 -C '/home/nagios/bin/nagios'

	No matter what I've tried, I have exactly the same problem.
The CGI's all display the "Warning: Monitoring process may not be
running!" error, and the process info displays an UNKNOWN state,
with "Nagios check command did not return any output."

	I'm boggled.  This is a pretty big annoyance for me, as
we use the web interface / command mode pretty heavily.  This is
on an OpenBSD 2.8 machine.

	Can someone, _anyone_, point out the error of my (or Nagios')
ways?  I'm pulling my hair out faster than it's falling out, and
trust me, that's pretty fast.  ;)

Thanks!

Benny