Local commands on remote hosts and management

Andrew Kemp andrew_kemp at pacific.net.au
Tue Jan 7 07:35:40 CET 2003

Greetings,

I have a slight quandary that I thought I would seek
advice from the other Nagios users out there.

We have a significant number of Unix hosts that we are
monitoring. Currently, I am using a customised/hacked
version of netsaint_statd to provide monitoring of disk,
mem, cpu, load etc on these hosts.

However, the new plugins that have just been release have
some interesting new features that I would like to implement
monitoring for on the Unix hosts.

Do I continue to hack netsaint_statd to add this functionality ?

   We have deviated significantly from the original Perl version
   and the maintenance and upkeep of this script versus moving to
   the new nagios_statd is a factor.

   Why python for nagios_statd ?

Do I look at implementing an NRPE solution ?

   My reading of the recent discussions on NRPE is that it is
   not quite as expandable/customisable as the netsaint_statd
   solution.

   Coordination of the plugins installed on all those Unix hosts
   would be a nightmare. Different flavours, versions, etc

Do I make local scripts and use NSCA to parse the results ?

   Management of security for hosts authorised to send results.
   Management of the local scripts would not be quite as large an
   issue as the plugins installed on all hosts.

Comments welcome as I would like to start implementing the expansion
of our monitoring shortly.

Thanks.

Andrew