lack of notificatons when switching from WARNING to CRITICAL stat e?

atonns at mail.ivillage.com atonns at mail.ivillage.com
Mon Jan 6 20:34:32 CET 2003

1) It seems that when a service goes from a WARNING to CRITICAL state, I'm
not getting a notification. Basically, I would like warnings to go to opteam
only, and criticals/unknowns to go to oncall only - which is how my current
config is setup. Basically, for a warning, there's no reason to wake someone
up in the middle of the night - it can be dealt with in the morning. But
criticals should be sent to the oncall pager.

2) I'd also like the recovery messages to go to the correct group ONLY -
warning recoveries to opteam only and critical recoveries to oncall only.
Currently warning recoveries go to opteam, but critical recoveries go to
opteam & oncall.

I have read the notifications document
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/notifications.html) and it seems
that a switch from WARNING to CRITICAL would satisfy both conditions of "(1)
a notification was already sent out about a problem with the host or service
at some point in the past and (2) the host or service has remained in the
same non-OK state that it was when the last notification went out." because
WARNING and CRITICAL are NOT the same non-OK state.

Any help would be appreciated. For reference, my current config very similar
to:
(email addresses and cosmetic name changes made to prevent SPAM)

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       monitoring-server
        service_description             CPU
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  oncall
        notification_interval           0
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_cpu!90%!99%
        }

define contactgroup{
        contactgroup_name       oncall
        alias                   On Call Pager
        members                 oncall,opteam
        }

define contact{
        contact_name                    oncall
        alias                           On Call Pager
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    u,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-epager
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-epager
        email                           pager-email at domain.com
        pager                           pager-email at domain.com
        }

define contact{
        contact_name                    opteam
        alias                           Operations Group
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,r
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           local-mailing-list at domain.com
        }

Thanks in advance!

--
"Computer science is as much about computers as
        astronomy is about telescopes" -- Edsger Dijkstra
Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - atonns at mail.ivillage.com