why is nagios pinging servers?

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Mon Jan 6 18:46:29 CET 2003

The issue I believe is your check_command... what happens is when your
freshness expires it will FORCE an active check and use the
check_command you have defined... thus as you have defined check_ping it
will ping, so you want to define a dummy command that will pass an
"UNKNOWN" or "CRITIAL" sate when you service becomes stale.  it's pretty
well outlined in the docs for the freshness checking, take a look at
them again, they even give you the "dummy" script code.

--Chris