RFC. Checking MS Domains (simulating a 9x client logon to check health of DCs/File servers etc)

Tom DE BLENDE tdeblend at gcc.dhl.com
Mon Jan 6 09:21:41 CET 2003

Dear Stanley,

I for one am interested. It is nice to see that even FreeBSD fans seem
to be confident in the reliability of Microsoft Windows' domain
implementation and its stability ;-) However, I think it is useful to
monitor its operation nonetheless. What I use now is the check_wins
plugin to see whether the domain is available.

The code your are describing does a lot more than that, as it actually
tries to use the domain functionality. I see this as a great
improvement, and it goes without saying that I am interested in
working on this plugin together. One thing I would like to see added
is support for VBS functions in the logon script. In the old days we
used 'net use' statements as well, but in the new version of the logon
script, we use mainly VBS functions like
'objWshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive'. If you want to have these covered as
well, I can provide you with all the info you require. It should not
be a big change.

Kind regards,
Tom